Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Day 9

Weight: 9.20kgs

I haven't cried from hunger at all. I only cried for 2 nights in a row. Not as bad as mommy expected. I'm still only managing to drink 250ml per day.

I had 2 therapies today, o/t and speech. I didn't want to do much in either. I'm not feeling as strong. The therapists say that the 2nd week is the hardest for us children.

We went to the picnic. I was fine for a bit but then started making some noises. the prof asked mommy what she thought i wanted. Mommy didn't know! I'm doing new sounds now, so mommy has to learn them, it's a bit like having a newborn! Mommy gave me some bottle and i drank about 50ml in one go. The prof said some children leave as drinkers and get their calories that way, some leave as eaters, some as both. She said they're still not sure what i am. I'm enjoying drinking more at the moment it seems. That's ok. Mommy can make any type of food liquid for me to drink... i have no doubt i'll eat, but maybe not yet. As long as i'm doing one or the other it's ok. The prof said i'm an 'A' student. I'm doing really well. I have lost a lot of weight but what's more important is i'm ok within myself, which i am.

Mommy and daddy have learnt a lot. She said it's very important that i don't realise eating makes them happy. If they react when i eat, like get excited and praise me i'll realise the game i can play. It will become a battle. If they act like they don't care that i'm eating, then neither do i. I will eat cos i'm not being 'watched'. It's psychological.

I'm not sure when i will manage to drink more volume. The prof and therapists said it's like beginning to run. you need time to get your muscles going and strong. I haven't eaten properly since birth so of course it's going to take time. Mommy and daddy have also noticed that i'm wiping my mouth after feeding, as if i don't like the feeling of food on my mouth. mommy was concerned it was a sensory issue, but the therapists said it wasn't. They said my mouth has 'woken up' to new sensations, and i'm not used to them. She said it's the same for others, at the beginning of summer.. when you first put your feet on the grass, it tickles, it's not unpleasant.. just that your senses are awakened.

Sorry no pictures. I'll try blog some soon. Please don't worry about us (and thanks for your comments!), it's going really well. we are all coping just fine.

Not sure when we are leaving. may stay the full 3 weeks, it totally depends on how the next few days go.

xxx

2 comments:

Santa Claus said...

Hang in there you three!!

Unknown said...

wonderful wonderful wonderful! A+ students all of you! lots of love X