Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Physio

Had a great physio session today. Tim, my speech & language therapist was also there, he wanted to see how my speech is coming along. Katherine was really impressed with how i'm trying to crawl. I go from laying down on my tummy into the crawling position, so mommy has to encourage me to go from sitting into the crawling position. She was given excercises for that a while ago but it's one she's always struggled with. I used to fight and put my legs straight so made it really hard for her. But now i don't mind it so much so it will definitely be easier. I'm loving standing too, Katherine said mommy must let me stand in my cot and she must show me how to hold onto the bars. I can't wait! Also to encourage me to kneel in front of a little table, that'll really build up my strength for when i want to stand. Wow.. the whole world is going to change for me, can't wait to be able to explore!

Tim asked mommy some questions about my speech. I don't do quite a few things. My speech is delayed cos i don't eat. Eating prepares you for speech, the use of the tongue when you suck etc is good practise for talking. But i don't do that, so talking will be a bit more challenging for me. Tim's going to make mommy a few picture cards of the main sounds. After food therapy she'll show them to me. When mommy and i have conversations she has to encourage more sounds, like 'ba, la, da'. I say them sometimes but not often enough. Mommy and i play peek-a-boo, but instead of saying 'BOO!', mommy says... 'where's luca....' 'there's luca!!!!' Tim told mommy she must say boo, that's a good sound for me to copy. Amazing that silly games like that can have such an impact on your speech, so there is reasoning behind them after all!

No comments: